God calls the ELCJHL to proclaim the Gospel within an Arab context in the Holy Land. This proclamation of the Kingdom of God and the message of salvation is to Arabs, including Palestinians, and is expressed both through witnessing to the Gospel as well as through diakonia.
God calls us to serve the poorest of the poor and to care for people who have suffered long because of the difficult political situation in this area.
Although the ELCJHL is a minority church we do not have a minority complex. Rather, we consider ourselves to be salt in the society, as God calls us to be. For this reason we seek to serve our Palestinian people through education that aims to provide Christian evangelical instruction, quality training and peace education.
- The ELCJHL is called to serve the marginalized, the elderly, those who suffer or are traumatized, and all who are in need – regardless of race, gender or political affiliation. The ELCJHL empowers youth, women, men, and children, encouraging all our baptized members to be the people of God in service and witness.
- The ELCJHL ministers with the other 12 churches of the Holy Land. Together we promote unity, make a joint witness and seek to speak with a prophetic voice against any kind of injustice or any violation of human rights.
- The ELCJHL is a catalyst for a just peace, working as bridge builders among the nations. We seek to be brokers of justice, ministers of reconciliation, and apostles of love.
- The ELCJHL, with the other churches, seeks to live and witness within a Muslim world and seeks to create a paradigm of Christian-Muslim relations.
- The ELCJHL, with the other churches, seeks also to live with Jews in a just and equitable coexistence.
- The ELCJHL engages in interfaith dialogue, seeking to cooperate positively for a just peace throughout the Middle East.
- The ELCJHL is the local expression of the Lutheran communion worldwide. It works in partnership and companionship with other Lutherans who have come to the Holy Land and with Lutheran Churches and agencies throughout the world.
Our Mission | A Brief History