The ELCJHL educational ministries are designed to meet the needs of the Palestinian people as a whole. In embracing and empowering students and families in the region from all religious, economic, and social backgrounds, these ministries provide the opportunity to live and to learn the gospel of Jesus Christ. As each person is created in the image of God, the freedom and dignity of each person is necessary. We feel called to provide resources that build a community equipped to share their gifts with the world in a meaningful way.
The work of the ELCJHL educational ministries adheres to nine overarching goals:
- To develop thoughtful and innovative students through a holistic approach to education which addresses student needs and develops student ability to adapt to an ever-changing world.
- To emphasize peace and encourage tolerance, love, and respect toward others.
- To strengthen communication and encourage exchanges with local and international communities.
- To strengthen and reinforce both Palestinian and Palestinian-Christian identities.
- To provide a high quality of academic rigor for our students.
- To create a holistic school environment.
- To appreciate individual differences and assist in integrating students with special needs and/or disabilities in the school and the community.
- To reinforce and support the role of women in Palestinian society.
- To be financially responsible.
Director of Education
Eng. Dr. Charlie Haddad, The ELCJHL Director of Education
Under the leadership of Dr. Charlie Haddad, ELCJHL Director of Education, the ELCJHL Schools and Educational Programs pursue the mission of providing a happy, productive, and safe environment for students, teachers, administrators, support staff, and parents. The participation of students, families, and staff is essential to creating a true school democracy and a sense of community and ownership by all. Parent and student councils play a key role as we pursue our strategic goals and adapt to the evolving needs of the Palestinian community.
The ELCJHL’s educational ministries employ more than 200 educators in full and part-time positions as teachers, administrators, support staff, and social workers. Nearly all faculty and staff are Palestinian, and most come from the Bethlehem, Ramallah, or Jerusalem areas. Many grew up attending our Lutheran schools. Most teachers and administrators have Bachelor’s degrees from local or international universities, and many have pursued Master’s degrees in education or in their fields of specialization.
Based at the Martin Luther Community Development Center, Mr. Salameh Bishara and international volunteers support the Director of Education in offering enrichment for educators and administering the development of the educational ministries. Recent workshops have addressed non-violent education, the use of children’s literature to enhance the English curriculum, and current theories on kindergarten education and learning.
Tel: +972 2 6266800 or +972 2 6266865
Fax: +972 2 6266857
Mission | Schools | Programs | Support Our Work